Video Game Guides Writer
Inverse has an immediate opening for a writer to help our readers reach the next level — literally. The right candidate is enthusiastic about writing evergreen guides that live above the news cycle and have a long readership tail. If you’re interested in writing definitive, thorough explainers that answer questions both pointed and broad, this is a great position for you.
This position is not a news-writing position but it does spin off the release cycle of new games, DLC updates, and ongoing titles (Destiny 2, Fortnite, etc.).
- Can file either 2 1,000-word guides per 6-hour shift, or 3-4 shorter, answer-focused posts per shift
- Contribute to collaborative feature projects (guides, roundups, etc.)
- 1-2 years’ experience writing about video games or a related field
- Ability to work sometimes weird hours to accomodate for game drops
- Have a keen visual sense of how to best create a guide (GIFs, embedded videos, screenshots) to solve the question. Sometimes just a photo works best
- Minimal Photoshop or GIF-making skills a plus, or even basic illustrations on a screenshot. (A red arrow or a circle goes a long way)
- A working knowledge of SEO and how people search for games as a “second screen” experience (people searching on their phones while they are stuck in a game)
- Must pitch guide ideas + angles for how to cover them
- Conversely, must be receptive to receiving guide assignments as needed.
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, Flavorpill Media, Inverse, Mic, NYLON, Romper, The Outline, and The Zoe Report — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City, with offices in Chicago, Los Angeles, and London.