Our mission is to democratize opportunity for students everywhere. We believe that every student should have an equal opportunity to build a meaningful career regardless of where they go to school, what they major in, or who they know. The Handshake community includes 14 million students and young alumni at more than 700 universities. We connect talent from across all 50 states with over 300,000 employers recruiting on Handshake - from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of local mom and pop shops, nonprofits, startups, and more.
We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge - we want you to apply.
Handshake is hiring an Engineering Manager, to lead the University Engineering team. In this role, you will be leading the development of Handshake’s University-side features by implementing features to enable solutions to make career centers across the country provide the right level of support for their students. We are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager who can lead, grow, and mentor the engineers building our University-side products.
We're focusing on innovating Handshake’s core experience for Universities, while constantly improving our technical foundation and user experience. We’re excited for you to work on:
- Leading, coaching, and inspiring our engineers within the organization.
- Motivating and ensuring the timely, quality-focused delivery of new features and projects
- Ensuring the team’s growth by ensuring the right processes are in place, facilitating efficient communication, and hiring the right talent to fill in the gaps.
- Partnering closely with key stakeholders across Handshake, including Design, Product Management, and Customer Support.
- Leading with empathy as you help us nurture a culture of growth, inclusion, and belonging.
- Proven track record in leading a team to ship features and products.
- 1-3 years of experience managing high-output engineers.
- Prior experience in managing distributed teams.
- A background in software engineering - the ability to understand the team’s technical challenges and architecture is the key to success.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent people management skills, focusing on supporting empowerment.
- Understanding of Agile methodologies.
- Product-focused mindset.
- Passion for helping teams and individuals grow and for building an inclusive culture and diverse team.
- As a nice-to-have, experience with Handshake’s technical stack:
- Ruby on Rails
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
- Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
- Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, sports, game nights, book clubs.
- Learning: Learning & Development opportunities for you to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
- ...And much more!
We value diversity of all kinds, and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.