We are a diverse and fully-distributed team from around the world, working toward our shared vision to raise the standard of trust online.
Join our team as a remote Copywriter and help shape the DuckDuckGo user experience across all of our products.
As part of our growing team, you will collaborate with team members at all levels to identify and close major gaps in our products. Examples of projects you might work on include: writing copy for DuckDuckGo’s portfolio of privacy products, collaborating with design and marketing teams, and increasing user engagement and retention through messaging.
We are fully-remote and empower our team to be self-directed and self-motivated in their projects. If you’d thrive in that environment, and our core values resonate with you — build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction — you’ll fit right in!
What you will do:
- Collaborate with stakeholders to define project-specific messaging requirements and work independently to explore, write, and revise copy that supports project and company-wide objectives.
- Validate proposed or existent copy and messaging strategies through experimentation and user testing. We typically do some kind of testing for all copy.
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to develop broader messaging strategies that support primary company-wide objectives.
- Maintain and build the trust we’ve earned with users over the last decade by taking responsibility for messaging across products, keeping colleagues accountable to brand, legal, and stylistic copy standards.
- Take responsibility for solving copy-specific problems and answering related questions, large and small.
What we are looking for:
- Proven success in copywriting, having supported product, design, marketing, and business teams by increasing user engagement and retention through messaging.
- Ability to translate product, brand, and business goals into words that empower users to take action.
- Grammatical excellence, expertise, and agility with the English language, including a deep understanding of style, diction, structure, and other elements.
- A well-defined, battle-tested, and flexible creative writing process.
- A thorough understanding of how to refine and optimize both long-form and short-form copy via peer review, user testing, or experimentation.
- Openness to explore multiple conceptual solutions for a given prompt or scenario, encouraging stakeholder ideas and feedback.
Other things to know:
- While we leverage specific job titles for hiring purposes, we do not use them internally. Instead, we follow our own professional levels, with expectations for each level clearly defined across several dimensions.
- We are a small, remote team distributed across time zones, and we rely on a variety of communication tools throughout the day.
- Sometimes we meet up! Expect to travel at least two times a year: once for our all-hands meetup and again for a team retreat (each ~4-5 days).
- We believe in a focused approach to collaboration, where individual team members work on a single top priority at a time, each supporting larger, company-wide objectives. This philosophy serves to impact our vision to raise the standard of trust online.
- Our work philosophy centers on empowered project management. All team members have opportunities to run projects.
- Transparency supports individual and team success at DuckDuckGo. We encourage everyone to participate in areas of interest throughout the company. Anyone and everyone can (and should) ask questions and offer feedback about our products and internal projects.
- We aim to exemplify our values (build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction) in everything we do.
- While this is a full-time job, we offer a flexible work arrangement with no core hours, expecting an average commitment of 40 hours per week.
- We support professional development of our team members through career advisory and a learning stipend, reinforcing our culture of growth and skill-building.
DuckDuckGo provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
If you think you might thrive in this environment, we would love to hear from you. Use the application to apply!