Director of Product
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for an experienced Director of Platform Product Management to work with Engineering, Product Management and Research leadership on developing a platform strategy for Wikipedia and other Foundation projects. Our teams build products that enable our communities to achieve our Vision; a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
The Director of Product Management, Platform will be responsible for teams that build multiple components of the platform. The platform is the base offering that products are built on. This includes technical components, large-scale features and capabilities such as APIs, core engine, data pipelines, front-end frameworks, notifications, maps, machine learning infrastructure, authentication, authorization, and policy controls. This is an opportunity to do good while having a high level of impact at a large-scale media property.
You are responsible for:
- Managing, growing and developing a team of Product Managers
- Collaborating with engineering leadership to create a strategy for Platform development, beginning with an API strategy
- Developing a phased approach for consolidating common infrastructure and services into a platform layer
- Leading prioritization and execution efforts for platform features and capabilities
- Bringing Product Management thinking, including prioritization, product strategy alignment, and process development into engineering areas
- Working closely with the AI/ML team in developing and setting Product-led prioritization
- Co-creating and communicating the Platform strategy to the executive team
- Defining and tracking key performance metrics for product initiatives and connect these metrics to overall Foundation goals
- Helping manage communications among the product teams and the broader cross-functional organization to ensure stakeholder alignment
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or the equivalent in work related experience
- Significant work experience in technical product management
- Experience developing a platform strategy and executing on that change at scale
- Experience with REST APIs and API strategy development
- Robust analytical, problem-solving, and conceptual skills with the ability to deliver on detail as well as strategy
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to interact effectively and develop effective working relationships with all levels of management, staff and communities
- Capable of managing a diverse range of responsibilities in a dynamic and results-oriented environment. Must be comfortable with evolving requirements and priorities.
- Ability to work with a remote, global and diverse team and community
Qualities that are important to us:
- Alignment with our mission and values
- Resilience—we work on new and interesting problems in public and collaborative ways
- Being open, curious, and inquiring in our work
- Internal motivation and high standards
- Working together for outcomes, and being willing to change course
- Sharing a culture of constructive criticism and respect
- Natural inclination for team collaboration and for helping colleagues succeed
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Experience editing Wikipedia or with the Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons communities or other collaborative enterprises
- Experience with open source software development
- Familiarity with artificial intelligence/machine learning platforms at scale
- Familiarity with MediaWiki
The Wikimedia Foundation is…
…the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected] or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off – vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays – including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues – diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.